Saturday, February 23, 2013

Day 6

So last night I got home from work and ate another vegan cookie (or two)...they are so good!

For dinner, Jerms and I decided to order delivery. We used to order delivery seriously like every night. But trying the vegan diet has helped us cook at home more because we need to plan ahead to make sure we have vegan options. Luckily, there is a lot of Indian food that is also vegan, so we ordered Indian delivery. Jeremy had a cauliflower dish and I had a chickpea dish. Since we've discovered that naan is not in fact vegan, we ordered roti, which is a vegan whole wheat bread that is baked in the tandoor. We also had basmati rice, natch.

After dinner there may have been more cookies consumed. I'm beginning to think that discovering these vegan cookies was a bad thing.

Today I got up late after sleeping in a bit and juiced before taking the dogs for a long walk in the park. My juice consisted of 1 cucumber (it made a ton of juice) and I think 3 large carrots. Also, 1 tsp of spirulina. I'm really having a hard time with the spirulina powder. Honestly, it does not taste bad at all. It kind of tastes good. But the idea of eating/drinking algae is really hard for me. So I've taken to closing my eyes and just throwing the juice back.

For lunch we decided to go out so we went to Burger Lounge. Molly Laufer originally introduced us to Burger Lounge when we visited San Diego in the summer of 2011...it was love at first bite. Just please come visit us in San Diego and we will take you to Burger Lounge. The funny thing is that the item I've always ordered there -- the quinoa burger -- is vegan! So we had a quinoa burger that we split between ourselves, a vegetable salad with lemon vinaigrette, and french fries (yummm!). I decided to have my Diet Coke fix today instead of tomorrow because it just looked so darn good when we got to the restaurant. And honestly...I love Diet Coke, but I'm not sure I like the way it makes me feel anymore. So I dunno if I'll continue drinking it in the future. I'm sure I'll still have the occasional DC...but it probably won't be a regular thing anymore -- not that it really has been in the past few weeks, but ya know.

Anyway, it's great to know that we can still get a meal at a favorite San Diego restaurant while staying committed to veganism.

On the way home from Burger Lounge we stopped to run a few errands, and one of our errands was to find the Sprouts grocery store that Brian and Kathy told us about. It's super close - about 5 or 6 blocks from our place (but over a couple of major roads AND major hills so I'm not sure we'll be walking there anytime soon). I am so excited that we found this market - it's like Whole Foods in terms of offering but more like a chain store in terms of prices! AND they have a ton of bulk bins offering everything from roasted almonds and candy to ground flax seeds and almond meal. Awesome selection and we're looking forward to going back there again soon. It makes me wonder if this is what the Central Markets are like in Texas? I haven't ever been to one so I really have no idea, but I wonder? Sarah could tell me I'm sure!

Last night we watched the documentary Forks Over Knives (streaming on Netflix) and I thought it was really informative and interesting. Focusing more on heart disease than cancer this time, and less of a focus on animal cruelty. While I certainly appreciate the animal cruelty angle of the argument, I don't necessarily want to watch documentaries on it because honestly it just makes me extremely sad. Anyway, I recommend the documentary if you're looking for something good to watch. Also, found a ton of exciting vegan recipes while cruising Pinterest! Soooo look out kitchen, here comes some variety in vegan cooking!

No comments: