Friday, February 22, 2013

Days four and five

OK so you know most of what happened yesterday...so, picking up where I left off...

I went home after work (it took me an hour to get home. Yep, an hour to go about 12 miles...thanks, SoCal) and started making the sides we were bringing to Brian and Kathy's for our dinner with them. Jeremy made roasted red potatoes with garlic and fresh rosemary, and I made roast brussel sprouts. They both turned out well and I was able to eat them for my dinner w/o lamb and feel full. I felt impressive because Kathy said sprouts intimidated her so I was able to tell her how easy it is to make them...so that was fun.

We had an awesome time over at Brian and Kathy's but it was really funny because I had told them that I was trying veganism for a spell, and Brian kept offering me things that aren't vegan. He certainly wasn't doing it on purpose, but I couldn't tell if he forgot I was vegan or didn't know those things were not vegan. For example: rice krispie treats (butter), a glass of milk (um, milk), and ice cream (um, cream, haha). The worst thing to turn down was the rice krispie treat. I wasn't too torn up about the glass of milk or the ice cream (don't get me wrong, I love ice cream, I'm just very specific about it), but the rice krispie treats just looked SO GOOD. But I held strong! For now, haha. But honestly, the only reason I could withstand the temptation was because I knew I had a special treat waiting for me at home:

Jeremy went to Whole Foods yesterday because he knew I was craving cookies and found vegan cookies for me! And let me tell you -vegan or not - these cookies are delicious. I think I might have forgotten, momentarily, that vegan does not mean fat free or calorie free, and I ate either 3 or 4 cookies before I looked at the nutrition information and realized I had just consumed more than half of my recommended daily allowance for fat. Whoops. So, vegan cookies are unfortunately just like regular cookies - they taste awesome and they're not the greatest things for you. Oh well.


Today I have had:
breakfast: juice...carrots...cucumbers...celery...ginger root...spirulina powder
lunch: spinach salad with candied walnuts, strawberries, blackberries, and blueberries, balsamic vinaigrette


Also, I just want to reiterate that I am not trying veganism to lose weight or the sake of vanity. I am honestly trying it for reasons that have nothing to do with weight. And I'm listing all my meals here for two reasons: 1) I want to be able to look back and say "hmmm, i felt good on friday, what did i eat on thursday that could have influenced that?" and 2) I want to show that being vegan isn't as scary as people might think and there is a wide variety of foods that one can eat while trying a restricted diet for other reasons.

And, as Lizzy pointed out to me yesterday, Gooey Brownie is in fact, vegan. So, ya know, gold star for veganism and gooey brownie there. 

As for how I'm feeling - I feel well. I feel less tired/more energized. I slept well last night - better than I usually do. Jeremy and I built 1 cheat day/week into our diet and said it would be Sunday, but Jeremy used his cheat day yesterday at Brian and Kathy's place. I used mine kind of accidentally when I ate the non-vegan naan (Paul made the joke that it was naan-vegan which was quite clever), but I still plan on potentially having a Diet Coke on Sunday. As for whether I'll indulge in other dairy products? I dunno, honestly. It's kind of unlikely. I just don't miss them THAT much (I say after just finishing my lunch and not feeling hungry...wait 'til hunger strikes again and I'll be scaling a mountain of cheese). And with those new cookies, I'm kind of set for the time being. But Diet Coke...I miss you. 

On a different note entirely unrelated to veganism, today I went back to the CA DMV for the 2nd time to try to register the Thundercat here. I offer you a piece of advice: if you ever move to California, either keep your plates registered in your state of previous residence for as long as possible, or buy a new car here. And if you choose option #1, be very careful to never get pulled over (or if you do get pulled over, be prepared to lie about what you're doing in CA and how long you're staying).

There are a number of things you have to do when you move across the country. But by far - registering my car in the state of California is the hardest of all those things. I have still not been successful.

Luckily, Jeremy has volunteered to complete the process for me next week. But seriously. California is on thin ice.

No comments: