Thursday, February 28, 2013

The ball is finally rolling

I'm really getting used to this vegan thing - but the challenges of being vegan are still present - I'll get to that in a minute.

Last night I got home and made Vegan Tofu Tostadas from Two Peas and their Pod (link in recipe name) -- this blog is LEGIT. And the tostadas were even more legit. Vegan or not, these things are delicious.

Jeremy isn't the biggest fan of tofu - which is understandable. A lot of people don't enjoy the texture. I personally really like it and find it strangely comforting, so I didn't have a problem with the amount of tofu in the recipe, but I knew Jerms might not enjoy it quite so much. Then I remembered that we had Field Roast Mexican Chipotle vegan grain sausages in the fridge (Thanks, Whole Foods), so I chopped one of those up and threw it in the pan to saute with the veggies and tofu. I love Morningstar "Chicken" patties and black bean/veggie burgers, etc, but I think this is the most I have ever enjoyed veggie/grain based "meat" products. It was REALLY tasty. So if you see Field Roast at your store, I recommend you try some (again, vegan or not)!

I'm not a huge fan of "cooking spray" so I used olive oil on the corn tortillas rather than cooking spray, but I think next time I'd do as I was told - the oil completely soaked the tortillas and made them tough. I definitely used too much. Still tasty, though. I think I would also add black beans just because I pretty much add black beans to everything I can. Oh, and we'd run out of chili powder the night before, so I just used taco seasoning instead. Because really, what isn't better with taco seasoning?

We finished them off with chipotle flavored Tabasco sauce and they were delish. I highly recommend this recipe to anyone who is willing to try it! Here's the final product:


I finished off the night by finishing off the peanut butter cookie I'd picked up at Robek's during lunch the other day. I threw all the cookies in the freezer, which I love...frozen treats = more time to savor them :)

This morning the fridge was still devoid of cucumbers (I told it to grow some overnight but it clearly did not listen) so I went back to the sprouted grain bread with Trader Joe's salted crunchy peanut butter - which is really good, I feel the need to repeat that.

On to the challenges of being vegan -- whenever we have a meeting here that lasts through lunch with a vendor who is visiting from out of town, they will order lunch into the office and have it delivered and set up outside our meeting. So, that was the situation today, and they ordered from a place called Champagne Bakery that is just obscenely good in an entirely non-vegan way. Their cookies are works of art, and we all know how much I appreciate a good cookie. And their sandwiches are served on these baguettes that are so inappropriately good. Anyway, I'm obviously unnecessarily torturing myself/you right now. So I get out of my meeting to get lunch and I'm all excited, thinking that obviously they'll have some sort of vegetarian sandwich but...no. There were none. Or if there were, they were gone before I got there. And in all likelihood, if the sandwich wasn't centered around meat, it would have been centered around cheese, which I can't eat either. So I move down the line and luckily, there was a green salad that had no dairy (plus a vinaigrette option) and a large, fresh, delicious fruit salad. So I loaded my plate with greens and fruit and grabbed a bottle of water. Diet Coke, while vegan, is also something I'm staying away from at the moment, so just had to turn around and walk the other way, in the opposite direction of those lovely lovely cookies and pastries that were sitting at the end of the line. It's like the cookies and the Diet Coke were grouping themselves together to call out to me like, look, your one stop shop for not making good choices for yourself anymore. Now don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that eating cookies and drinking Diet Coke are INHERENTLY bad choices. I could never say that and still be who I am. But for me, right now, I feel like it's a better choice to steer clear of them and load up on more fruit and veggies. So yeah. Sometimes, being a vegan straight up blows.

Not sure what's for dinner tonight. Jeremy has had a couple of friends unexpectedly drop into town so I think he'll be going out to dinner with them. Which means I'll probably make the "buffalo" cauliflower dish I've had my eye on that Jeremy was not thrilled about trying. Or maybe chili leftovers. Or maybe this is boring for other people to read. But I definitely see another vegan cookie in my near near future...

Hope everyone's having a great week and is ready for Friday and the weekend! :)

No comments: