Thursday, June 23, 2011

Well, that was the suck.

Did I do my run yesterday, you ask? I mean, I tried. Which I think counts for something. Right? I think you technically only "fail" at doing a training run when you don't even try to do it. I think given that I put my shoes on, trotted out the door, and ran a mile before I started walking (and then continued to run/walk the rest of the 3 miles fearing death if I tried to continue running the whole way)...I mean, I feel like that's something. A for effort, right?

This is where I was running:

Yes, that is what you get if you Google Image search "Surface of the Sun." It was 95* in Baltimore yesterday at 5 pm, but I decided, brilliant road warrior that I am, that I was going to tough it out. I was sufficiently hydrated, right? So my body would cool itself down with sweat, right?

I'm not entirely sure why this occasionally happens (maybe some of my running buddies can help explain) but my body started sweating...and then stopped. I think it was like "Well, this is clearly a losing battle so I'm just going to sit this one out and let you think about what you've done."

Why, body? I thought we were in this together.

Really, this is where I was running:
This is Fort McHenry which I'm sure is significant for many a historical and cool reason but really all I care about is the nice asphalt path along the water and the gorgeous views of the harbor it provides. Granted, yesterday I couldn't have cared less about either of those things because I was just thinking "don't die don't die don't die," but on most days it's a pretty nice view. One thing I should have thought about: not many trees along the path to provide me with any shade at all.

You know, maybe my body didn't stop sweating. Maybe it was just so hot that when I did sweat, it evaporated immediately. Uncool.

So anyway...it wasn't great. But not all of my training runs over the next few months are going to be great. I just. Want. To complete. The race.

In other news, I've started using Dove bar soap as my hand soap in my bathroom and suddenly my cuticles aren't dry and cracking anymore. Imagine that. Expensive, annoying cuticle creams be damned, Dove will do the job!

1 comment:

the bee said...

i looked at the picture before reading on and went "oh my god! why is bridget running in a fire pit! i have to call her and tell her to stop it!". hahaha.