Monday, April 19, 2010

I finished my first half marathon!

And because of that, I am tired, so to see pics from the finish line, look at Lizzy's blog.

I had SUCH a great support group this weekend. Lizzy made me a good luck banner and let me sleep in her bed the night before the race so I would be well rested (I still tossed and turned all night but that was my anxiety's fault, not her bed's). She made cute posters for Annie and me (see pics on her blog), and waited to cheer us on at the finish line (she had to wait a little longer for me, haha). Josh brought me a Koala (long story) who I carried across the finish line with me (I'll post pics when the official pics are posted). Quotes from the people I passed with the koala: "Look, she has a koala!" "She's got her TEDDY!" Koala really enjoyed wearing my medal after we crossed the finish line. I think he is going to train for his own half marathon now. My sister Meghan also drove down for the day on Saturday and spent time with me and my friends.

The race was hilly, it was hard, but most of all, it was FUN. It reminded me how much I love racing (from my days of rowing). I am way less competitive when it comes to running though - in rowing I was out to beat my competitors, in running I am really just sort of along for the ride, the sweat, and the scenery. This weekend was a reminder that there really is no more beautiful place than Southern Virginia. And a reminder that I have WONDERFUL friends! Thanks everyone :-)

2 comments:

molly said...

congrats b!!! you guys are such an inspiration for me to get in shape for an upcoming 4-miler. i am so proud of you-- now hop on a plane to san diego and we'll have a fantastic running tour of the waterfront.

hope you are enjoying some pasta and relaxing :) miss you tosn!

Molly said...

GO BRIDGEE!!! I still can't believe you are going to do one at the beginning of May! You are super impressive and almost inspiring me to put back on those running shoes...almost!