Tuesday, August 30, 2011

You stay classy, San Diego.

Alright! I'm back! After over a week of radio silence due to my phone's desire to take a vacation from me and stay in Jeremy's car for the week, I am here and ready to tell you about our trip to San Diego!

If you'd rather look at pictures than read, there will be another post following this one with just pictures, but beware it's mostly just shots of animals at the zoo and me taking pictures of Jeremy and Jeremy taking pictures of me. Pretty entertaining stuff.

Also, I feel that I should explain that we were staying in Coronado which is directly across the bay from San Diego, literally like a mile away. Coronado - while some think it's an island - is an isthmus (narrowly connected to the mainland). So it's sort of its own little village but is very very close to SD proper.

So here goes:
Sunday August 21 -
J and I wake up at 4:30 to get to the airport for our 6:30 am flight. We leave late because that's how we roll, then we have to stop to get gas, then we have to wait 10 minutes for the shuttle to pick us up in the parking lot, then we wait in a long line to check our bags, only to be "those people" who are called to the front of the line because if we aren't our flight is going to leave without us. We literally get through security, walk to the gate, and get directly on our plane. We were lucky enough to have a whole row of seats to ourselves so I laid down on the first flight and tried to get some sleep, but it was just a quick flight from BWI to ATL so there wasn't much time. We landed in ATL and caught our next flight to SD. We landed in SD quite early, got our rental car (a red mustang which got a lot of comments from strangers throughout the week, which annoyed me because I don't like people), and headed to the Hotel del Coronado, where we'd be staying for the week. I highly recommend the Del - it's amazing.

For lunch we ate at the Burger Lounge in Coronado by recommendation of the Laufers (Thank you SO MUCH, it was delicious!). After lunch we lounged on the beach for a while, and by lounged I mean Jeremy bothered me until I agreed to get in the FREEZING OCEAN with him for a few minutes, which isn't so bad because your body goes numb very quickly and then you can't feel anything anymore anyway. After our swim session we went back to the hotel room to shower & change, then went to Miguel's for dinner. Miguel's gives you free chips & salsa while you're waiting to be seated, and then once you're seated they give you free queso along with the chips and salsa. So basically, it was heaven. After that we went back to the hotel room and both promptly fell asleep before 10 pm on the end of the bed watching tv. This became a pattern.

Monday, August 22 -
On Monday we got up ridiculously early due to the time change and went to Hash House a Go Go for breakfast by recommendation of a colleague from UA. This place. Was. Ridiculous. Jeremy had the chicken & waffles and Lizzy, I know this will break your heart, but he said the c&w there was better than that of Miss Shirley's. I know those are fighting words, but to settle it, you're going to need to go to Hash House and try theirs and then report back. I'll go with you. The portions were huge and the food was delicious. This place had a line out the door at 10 am on a Monday - new theory - no one in SD actually has a job.

After Hash House we went to the San Diego ZOOOOOOOOO! It was awesome! People say that the Columbus Zoo is the best because it has Jack Hanna, but let me tell you, SD is SO MUCH BETTER! Seriously the best zoo I've ever been to in my life. I am obsessed with Koala bears and I thought long and hard about the potential of stealing one from the zoo and wearing it on my back the rest of the trip like a backpack to pass it off as something other than a stolen Koala. I'm still perfecting my plan and may execute it one day, we'll see. If you have any eucalyptus plants in your backyard let me know, you may be called into service.

After the zoo we went back to the hotel and lounged on the beach some more for the remainder of the afternoon, then for dinner we went to the Village Pizzeria on Coronado. You may also notice a trend of Jeremy and I not leaving Coronado unless forced. We really enjoyed how much was available within walking distance of the hotel, so we took advantage of that convenience as much as possible! After the pizza I had my first experience with Moo Time Creamery which Jeremy later described as "crack for Bridget." They have a flavor there called Brownie Batter that is basically Gooey Brownie in ice cream form. The rest of the trip was basically laid out after that moment as a plan to GET MORE MOO TIME. There was no other priority. None. Jeremy also bought a surfboard on Monday but that had nothing to do with Moo Time so I didn't particularly care. Except that the store was across the street from Moo Time, so I was ok with it.

Tuesday August 23 -
On Tuesday we spent the entire day at the Del or nearby in Coronado - aka we didn't drive anywhere that day. For breakfast we sort of accidentally ate at the hotel buffet (long story), which was delicious, but I'm not sure it was $60-for-two-people-to-eat-breakfast delicious. Although I will tell you I had the best cinnamon roll there I have EVER had in my life. Molly I didn't get to try the Con Pane rolls, but have you had the ones at the Del? Because they're amazing. I wanted to eat like 15 but I restrained myself, figuring maybe we'd be back before the end of the trip, but Irene had different plans for us. More on that later. After breakfast we went down to the beach. I spent all day lounging around reading while Jeremy was surfing. I was also texting Lizzy at this time and learning about the earthquake that the East Coast had because it missed me. I don't know why it has to be so dramatic. I'm just glad none of you were hurt. Tuesday night at the Del they had a wine tasting - 10 wines (1 oz each) for $10, which seemed like a great deal to us! We had a good time there but there were 3 other couples there who brought their children - which was kind of lame. On many levels. After wine tasting we went back to Burger Lounge for Round 2 of burger deliciousness. What can I say, we find a food that we like and we stick with it. We're committed that way.

Wednesday August 24 -
Both of us had gotten a wee bit too much sun by Wednesday, so we took the day off from the beach. We didn't get breakfast on Wednesday because we slept in and then drove up to La Jolla to check out the local scene up there. I really wished I'd had my cell at this point so I could have texted Molly asking for food recommendations in La Jolla, but alas I did not, so we found a local mexican place and chowed down. After chow we drove around La Jolla some more, then drove to Black's Beach which supposedly has some great surfing - but all I saw were naked people on the beach. We didn't stay there long.

After La Jolla we drove down to Ocean Beach and waited for the farmer's market to begin at 4 pm. We observed the surfers on the beach and generally just watched hippies be hippies. Lots of crazies in OB. When the farmer's market began we strolled from stall to stall inspecting their wares. Jeremy got a bottle of creepy green smoothie natural blah blah made from lettuce and other disgusting things that one wouldn't want to drink, and I got 13 mini donuts that were fried right in front of me. I'll let you decide who wins.

After OB we drove down to the Silver Strand which is the thin strip that connects Coronado to the rest of SD. There's a base down there, Molly was that your base or were you at the other base? I think Jeremy's parents were at that one. I got to see the house where Jeremy and his family lived until he was 13 which was really cool! When we returned to the hotel we got cleaned up and then went to have dinner at the pizza place again. I'm telling you, we are really creative. After pizza I got more Moo Time, then we went to get a drink at the hotel's "Late Night Happy Hour" from 9-11 pm, which was a really nice option to have.

Thursday August 25 -
On Thursday we woke up and went to Cafe 1134 for brunch (another Laufer recommendation). We both had delicious burritos and then went to the beach. More aimless lounging on Thursday, and then Thursday night we were supposed to go to a concert by the San Diego Pops (an outdoor concert, they were doing the music of the Rolling Stones). We had tickets and everything, but then we got super un-motivated and like the lazy jerks we are, we skipped the concert and opted to walk around the Gaslamp District instead. The Gaslamp District is in downtown SD and is kind of touristy, basically an area close to Petco Park with lots of bars and restaurants and shopping, really nice to walk around in. I know, I know - we skipped a concert and then had dinner 2 blocks away. Doesn't really make much sense. Anyway, we went to dinner at a mexican restaurant where I had a margarita the size of my head, and then we drove back to Coronado and I got - you guessed it - more Moo Time. I CANNOT BE STOPPED.

Friday August 26 -
On Friday we got up and drove back to OB so Jeremy could surf in some larger waves. When we got there and parked the car we learned that a Great White had been spotted twice in the water near the pier in as many days. I gave Jeremy a pat on the back and told him I'd watch him from my beach chair. We ate at a local cafe that was really good but the name of which I don't recall - and as we were eating we learned that our flight home for Saturday afternoon had already been cancelled due to the threat of Irene! So, much of Friday was unfortunately spent on the phone with Delta trying to get a new flight home :( Friday night we went back to the pizza place 1 last time - again, creativity.

We originally were just going to stay in SD until Sunday, but then we couldn't get our room for another night at the Del, so we bumped our flights up earlier to try to get to Baltimore before Irene did. We were originally supposed to stay in SD until 1 pm on Saturday and be back in Baltimore by midnight. That did not happen. We left San Diego at 6:30 am on Saturday (which means no more cinnamon rolls at breakfast for Bridget, and Jeremy waking Bridget up at 3:45 in the morning which is not the morning and is basically just the middle of the night).

When we left San Diego to fly to Atlanta, our flight from Atlanta to Baltimore was still on time. When we landed it Atlanta, it had been cancelled. So that was cool. We spent 4 hours in the Atlanta airport trying to figure out when we could get home. We almost got on a flight off of standby to DC that afternoon, but the clerical error of some idiot desk attendant bumped us off the list. I not-so-secretly didn't care about being stuck in ATL, though, because it meant we got to see Noodle! After we found out that we were definitely not getting out of ATL until Sunday, Noodle came and picked us up at the airport and took us back to her apartment. We didn't have any of our luggage or anything, which was sad, but Noodle got us a great room at the W and we were able to freshen up before going to dinner with Annie, Josh, and their friend Richard, which was a great time. After dinner Jeremy and I were exhausted and hit the sack in anticipation of our 5:45 am wakeup call the next morning to make it to the airport in time for our next flight. Our flight to Baltimore, you say, right? Wrong. Irene made us fly to SAINT LOUIS and then to DC. St. Louis. Not east. West. WTF, Irene. So we hit STL, then from STL went to DCA, where my mom picked us up and drove us up to BWI so Jeremy could pick up his car - and my phone :)

Our luggage made it to BWI without us (rude) so it was delivered to my apartment building at 5 o'clock yesterday morning, which is a totally normal time to deliver luggage, right? All I have to say is thank God for buildings with a concierge because if he had tried to deliver it to me I would have cut him.

So! That's the story! I hope I haven't bored you all to tears. SD is beautiful and I highly recommend that you all visit soon and take me with you :) The weather was wonderful, the food was great, and I'm looking into how to become one of those mysterious people who live in SD but appear to not have a job.

No comments: