Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Text based conversation strikes again

(Thanks to Molly Vaughn for reminding me about this story with her latest comment)

So a couple of weeks ago I was talking to my best friend on Gchat and she said "that's what she said" and, being the 5 year old I am, I assumed that she meant it in the pop culture way that Michael from the Office says it (if you don't know what I'm referring to, you probably shouldn't read this blog, it will probably offend you). So, I'd never heard her say "That's what she said" before that I can remember, so even though I couldn't for the life of me figure out what she was referring to, I just tried to be supportive and said "Oh, haha!" while trying to figure out how it related to the conversation.

So eventually I say "You saying that is funny to me" and I tell her that I'd just told everyone at my table that she'd said it (and that I still couldn't figure out why) - so she goes "What are you talking about? That's what she said? I just realized I said that" and I was like Oh my gosh, she like, subconsciously typed That's what she said without meaning to, this is weird. We go back and forth like this with a ton of "What? What did you realize? What was funny?" for a few minutes until finally she says that she meant to include a question mark when she originally said it - as in, really asking the question of "That's what she said?" and in no way trying to make a dirty joke, which, when you think about me sitting here typing "Hahaha!" and trying to figure out what was funny, is great. I was just really trying to be supportive of her foray into inappropriate jokes.

Sigh. I need to grow up. And I just realized no one will probably find this as funny as I do.

1 comment:

the bee said...

keep trying!