Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Adventures in dinnerland

Last night, I made this recipe, found on Pinterest. I guess I could have taken a picture of them when they came out of the oven, but when I pull things out of the oven I pretty much just want to eat them ASAP.

This is what they look like on Pinterest:
Mini-pot pie goodness.
They're mini Chicken Pot Pies that you make in a muffin pan.

I bought these refrigerated biscuits to use in the recipe:

My apologies for the terrible picture quality...anyway, they're Pillsbury Simply... (seriously, that's the sub-brand) Buttermilk Biscuits. If you try this recipe, I recommend trying a flakier biscuit. I just bought it because it was the only can that said 10 biscuits (most said 8, annoying) and didn't say "artificial butter flavoring" on the front. Maybe I should have checked Whole Foods, but I didn't really think that far in advance. It turned out to be quite dense, and I like a flakier crust on my pot pies. 

The recipe called for Cream of Chicken soup...I'm not a huge fan of condensed soups, personally. To me, they just scream "PRESERVATIVES!" Granted, the Chips Ahoy & Reese's Peanut Butter cups I eat are probably screaming the same thing, but that noise is drowned out by the sound of me chewing. Anyway. Not a huge fan. 

So I followed the recipe but Jeremy cooked two chicken breasts i/o just one because we didn't think that 1 cup of chicken between the two of us was going to be enough. This meant that we had too much filling when it came time to put the mixture inside the cups...so I ended up just sort of piling it higher in the cups that were already full, which lead to an in-oven-meltdown during cooking. Whatevs. Messy still tastes good. Oh, and I also added some dried rosemary to the filling because rosemary makes everything better. 

Jeremy loved this meal - he ate 5 of the little cups. I only ate 2 because I had pounded some chipotle hummus & multi-grain pita chips before I started cooking (while watching Season 4 of Keeping up with the Kardashians, did you know it's on Netflix Instant now? Enjoy). I dunno. I liked it, but I don't know that I'll ever crave these. I said to Jeremy that I thought the taste directly reflected the amount of effort I'd put into making it - which was minimal. If you're looking for pot pies, I'd say just get the frozen Marie Callander version and chow down. 

New topic: 
Do any of you wear night creams? I use an under-eye moisturizer at night and when I use it, I wake up looking like I've slept for 20 hours (that's a good thing, I look refreshed). I want to apply that same logic to the rest of my face but I don't want to use something that will make me break out (I have naturally oily skin). Any recommendations?

Also, I'm watching Mugsy on the doggy day care webcam right now. First he was humping the same dog for approximately 25 minutes, then he resigned himself to simply leaning against the wall where the other dog was laying down and barking in his face incessantly. 

Why. 

No comments: