Monday, October 24, 2011

Apple + Amex = love

On 10/14 I got an iPhone 4S, and I was happy. On 10/15 I ran an entire 26.2 miles carrying said iPhone without a case on it and did not drop said iPhone. 

On 10/19, everything changed. 

The morning of 10/19 was horrendous for many many reasons, but I'm not going to get into it beyond the details that relate to the story I'm trying to tell you. I took both of the dogs to daycare that morning, and getting those two in and out of the car together is like trying to herd cats...in a BMW. A BMW that you spent an hour cleaning recently. And cats with little impatient beagle paws who like to prance prance prance in muddy puddles and then jump in the drivers seat, then do a tap dance on the console, and then settle into the passenger seat, before being thrown bodily into the backseat where the doggy seat cover is.

See Suspect #1 on the right. Look at that face. He's plotting.


But I digress. 

Anyway, herding cats. We get to daycare and they're so excited that they jump out of the car really quickly, but as Ronin jumps out of the car he rips Mugsy's collar off his neck (they're connected to one another by a leash adaptor) and Mugsy frolics across the street, unhindered by a leash. I yell at Mugsy to come back and he sulkily comes back with his ears down and his tail between his legs. As I bend over to put Mugsy's collar back around his neck, my purse tilts and my lovely, dear iPhone slides out and, as if in slow motion, tumbles to the asphalt below. 

Where it shatters. Into a million little pieces. 

Seriously who makes the back of a phone out of glass anyway?

So I get the dogs situated and then proceed to the office where I complain for hours about my poor lovely phone being smashed...and then Jeremy reminds me that I purchased the phone with my Amex. And Amex cards have purchase protection against accidental damage or theft within 90 days after the purchase of the item. Cue the singing of angels. 

So I call Amex and file a claim...and they refund my money within 24 hours. But then the question is - where am I going to get another iPhone for the same price without signing another 2 year contract? Because I already renewed my contract to get THIS phone. So again, I am the sad. 

I make an appointment at the Apple store to see if they can repair the phone for less than what I paid for it, and then I sit and wait for two days until the appointment. 

We go to the Apple store on Friday with a plan of all the details I have to mention to make them pity me and fix my phone for free/less than a million dollars, but as it turns out...none of it was necessary. We walked in, they took me at my appointed time, and they fixed the phone free of charge within 10  minutes. 

So now, I am the happies again. 

And don't worry, I called Amex and told them to apply the charge back to my account since the phone had been repaired free of charge. 

Sooooo...you takes us outs now, yes?

No comments: