Thursday, February 25, 2010

I desperately need a pep talk.

Running a marathon is on my bucket list. So I figured the first step to running a marathon is running a half marathon, right? So I started training for this half marathon. And by training I mean vaguely running more than I had run in the past. I stopped running for a few weeks in there when my shin splints were unbearably painful, but then my friend Annie and I agreed to run the half together in Charlottesville (because really, if you have to run 13 miles, why not do it in the best place on Earth?) and I got myself back on track...no pun intended.

Anyway, I've been in intense training mode since I returned from Jamaica. My steps in training for this half have included:
1) joining the gym next door to my apartment complex (this may or may not have also included an ulterior motive in that I wanted to find a place to meet men...preferably straight men, I know plenty of un-straight men but I'm not their type)
2) running 3 days a week (2 shorter runs + 1 longer run on the weekend), cross training 2 days a week, lifting weights 2 days a week, and resting 1 day/week.
3) signed up for 1 session a week with a (supercute) trainer (again, may or may not have same ulterior motive as above)

I have been successful so far, and I've managed to increase my "longest mileage run without walking" from 3 miles to 5 miles, of which I was pretty gosh darn proud, but I did that 5 mile run this past Saturday, and I am totally hitting a wall this week. I did 4 miles on Monday, went to meet my trainer on Tuesday, and was supposed to do 4 miles again last night but ended up having to complete said 4 miles in sprint/walk intervals because my shin splits wanted a piece of the action again.

I have to do 6 miles on Saturday and I can think of roughly 1 million things I'd rather do instead (top of the list: staying in bed). I know I'm just having an unfortunately extended case of the Mondays this week, but I need some help to snap out of it. Anyone got any advice on how to break down this wall I am running into??

3 comments:

austin said...

actually, you're NOT running into a wall.

my suggestion is a new running mix and something running-attire related (matters how good you look, right?)

OR an excellent reward (something you REALLY want) that you can only have if you complete your run. Mani/pedi?

when i have the luxury of running at all these days, the best part is always how good i feel after.

Molly said...

maybe reduce your shorter run to 3 miles as you are slowly increasing your longer runs. that way your shins have more of an opportunity to heal. I only did 4 mile runs during the week when I was running 10 on the weekends. It is more about endurance. Also, maybe get some new running shoes?

You can do it!!

molly said...

are you treadmill running or outside running? i know an outside run is exactly what i need/want/can't have sometimes- so maybe try varying where you run?

also, when i just can't run any longer, i set the incline to like 10 and go at a speed of about 4.4 for 3-5 minutes so i am really toning and keeping up the heart rate w/o ACTUALLY running.

also, maybe a good movie on TV while running on the treadmill? (i watched Scream 2 today- yes you read that right, Scream 2)

again, i'm probably no good at advice b/c i ran all of my races pretty much without training. and i only run on treadmills these days.

if that doesn't work, i like the idea of new running clothes.

and if that's not an option- mac & cheese. from the blue box. eaten straight out of the pot. that solves everything :)