Thursday, February 04, 2010

Yummy recipe

Hey team,
So I figure most (if not all) of the people who read this blog are young professionals. What do young professionals always need? Good ideas for dinners that are easy to make, nutritious, easy to clean up, and yummy! I found one such recipe recently and wanted to pass it along to you all.

It's for White Chicken Chili. The recipe comes from Bush's beans, but I've modified it a little bit. If you want to see the original recipe, just go to http://www.bushbeans.com/recipes/printRecipe.php?RecipeID=282.

My (very slightly) modified recipe is below:
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 can (4-ounces) chopped green chilies, drained (don't worry, this will not be too spicy)
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 cans (16 ounces each) Great Northern Beans (you don't need to drain these)
1 can (14.5 ounces) chicken broth (I recommend the reduced sodium kind because otherwise the dish leaves you pretty thirsty)
1 lb cooked chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces (I poached my chicken and it left it a little bit less tender than I'd like, you could bake or saute or grill, whatever you want)
Shredded Monterey Jack cheese (optional...I used cheddar and it was good)
Sour cream (optional)
Salsa (optional)

In large skillet, cook onion in oil for 4 minutes or until transparent. Add chilies, flour and cumin; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add beans and chicken broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 10 minutes or until thickened. Add chicken; cook until hot. Garnish with cheese, sour cream and salsa, if desired.

It looks too watery at first but it thickens up quite a bit. I also had some red and yellow bell peppers on hand so I chopped them up and threw them in with the onion. I liked the additional veggie element, but I would have preferred them to give more crunch, so next time I will probably throw them in later in the process. Also, I had cherry tomatoes, so I sliced those up and put them on top of the chili fresh and it lent a really nice sweetness to the dish.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

molly said...

yumm! thanks for the recipe- can't wait to get home and try this one out!

p.s. i just discovered this blog the other day- umm, where have a been?! keep them coming!

miss you lots!

Bridgee said...

yay I'm so glad you're reading it! sorry the blog was hiding from you!! :-) miss you lots too!